Follow Us @scrapshackdesigns

Friday, September 5, 2014

Sparkling Stars & Birthdays

Happy Friday and welcome to my final challenge post for this week. Ever since I receive last months Paper Pumpkin kit I have wanted to make a shaker card using those wonderful cut outs and this week I finally sat down and threw one together.


Shaker cards are very easy to throw together and only require a few basic materials.
  • First you will need some clear acetate (I used a page protector cut to size) and some double sided sticky tape which you will use to tape your acetate to your die cut. Just make sure that the acetate covers the window in the die cut enough so your shaker material does not fall out.
  • Once I have the acetate adhered to the die cut I then took some foam tape and taped around the outer edges of the die cut. We are layering these steps so you should have a die cut, then acetate, then 3-D foam tape around the outside. The tape is meant to provide a  pocket that you will add glitter, gems, gel, or whatever else you have on hand to hence creating a shaker card. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure your foam is touching on all edges so that your shaker material does not fall out. I also added a little too much glitter to that above card and looking back would only use half that amount. 
  • After I have the die cut filled I then glued the card to the back of the die cut creating a complete enclosed area for my shaker material to move around in.
Shaker material can literally be anything from gems to sequins, to glitter, to gel. I once came across this really cool card that used hair gel as the material and the theme of the card was water so she added some small plastic fish and other marine life.. how totally cool! This card is meant to be cool and creative so don't be afraid to try different things depending on your theme.

I also promised you one last challenge to finish out the week and have taken the above sketch from the Freshly Made Sketches blog where they challenges readers to make a project using the following sketch.
As always there are some really great creations over on their blog so make sure to stop by and check them out. The sketch is also very clean and simple so throw together a quick card and submit it... who knows you may just win!

I hope you enjoyed learning about shaker cards! Thanks so much for joining me and please have a safe and enjoyable weekend. I hope to see you back here next week for some scrap pages and 3-D projects - I assure you I will have at least one tutorial for you to try!

 photo JeniLeigh3_zps1223d877.jpg
Post a Comment