Friday, August 29, 2014

Merry Penguin Christmas Card

Not to frighten anyone but there are less than 120 days until Christmas and I am catching some serious fever. Today I have a simple Penguin slider card with an inside sentiment that says "Have yourself a Merry little Christmas."
 

I thought the merry sentiment would be fabulous for a penguin die cut that slides across the front of the card.... how Merry!! 
 
In order to make this card, I first started with a standard piece of blue cardstock which I stamped snowflakes onto using a matching ink. I wanted it to feel like the penguin was sliding across ice so I placed some shimmer tape (from CTMH) across the front keeping to blue shades. The patterned paper comes from my scraps and I have had it forever and I thought it would be great to add some color and to allow those pennies to slide.
 
So what exactly is a slider card?? Sliders are really easy cards to make, which add a very fun element, and can be made at a low price (two 3-D circle dots and two cents, to be exact.) To make the penguin, or any die cut, slide I just added a penny to the back of the die, then I layered on a 3-D circle to give the die something to slide on, and then I layered on another penny and stuck it through that 1/2" slot across the front. As always Easy Peasy! The pennies give it weight and the circle dot and raised front pattern paper help the die sled from side to side.
 
On this card the top portion of the patterned paper is a little to thin for my liking so I just wanted to make a note to let everyone know that it would lead to a sturdier card (and slide) if you left a little more room above the slot.
 
Well thanks for joining me today and I hope you were inspired! Have a great weekend.

 photo JeniLeigh3_zps1223d877.jpg
Post a Comment