Follow Us @scrapshackdesigns

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Quilling Flowers & New DT Member!

As promised last week, I worked on a new technique over the weekend and wa-la welcome to the world of quilling.

 
When I first read up on this art form the main piece of advice that stuck with me was to have patience (which I do not have..ever!) and I immediately thought who needs patience when simply rolling paper? I mean seriously who hasn't rolled a piece of paper before. Then I quickly realized that the patience (at least for me) came in at the end when I was trying to piece it all together. Now don't get me wrong this is a very tedious art form working with small, skinny strips of paper and glue and I am sure it will test patience for people on different levels so just stay calm, be willing to put the project down for a moment, and no matter what keep practicing.  




Here's a closer view of those lovely flowers. I absolutely love quilling and think that it gives the project such an amazing touch. And since it is spring time quilling is an excellent way to add dimension and excitement to those flowers. Plus quilling is truly is an amazing art form. Don't believe me yet just Google it and take a peak at some of those projects!

Standard Equipment:

So how exactly do you quill and what makes it an art form? Well first off you need a toothpick or quilling tool accompanied with strips of paper. As I understand it you can purchase a whole kit with pre-cut paper or you can simply cut your scraps into strips (which is what I did.) You of course will also need glue to hold the paper together.

The typical widths of Quilled paper is broken down into the following four widths:
  • Narrow is 1/16th inch
  • Standard is 1/8th inch
  • Wide is 1/4 inch
  • Extra Wide is 3/8th inch
As far as length is concerned quilling strips can range from 17-25 inches depending on what you are making.

So now that you have your paper, glue, and scrolling utensil it's onto the crafting part. There are many different shapes but the ones listed below are the starting point for any other shape. If you would like some more information an excellent website (the one where this beautiful picture came from) is Handmade Craft Ideas and can be found here http://www.handmade-craft-ideas.com/paper-quilling-instructions.html.

Making Basic Scrolls:

Closed: Wrap a strip of paper in its entirety around your tool. Before gluing, allow the coil to expand to the size you want. I place mine right on the table and let it rest for a moment.
Tight: Same as closed except do not let the paper rest and loosen before gluing the end.                             
Teardrop: Create a loose coil then simply pinch one side of the coil.
Eye or Marquise: Make a loose coil (see any pattern here?) and then pinch on opposite sides of the coil.

There are plenty of resources online if you are interested and wish to learn more shapes. Again those listed are the basic shapes and are a great starting point for any new quiller.


 Some great tips to keep in mind are:

  • Use whatever tools and paper work for you. As you know all paper crafts have multiple tools that work the same and quilling is no exception. There are many different types of tools and paper so practice and use what works best for you.
  • Neatness matters so keep your glue clean. If you make a mess with your adhesive or even your fold/cut it will show through on the final project so it's best to keep things as neat as possible.
  • I hold all of my shapes firmly for a minute or two while the glue sets. There is nothing more frustrating than forming a perfect coil only to have the glue not sit.

Now it's time for the big news!

I was accepted onto the design team over at Pause, Dream, Enjoy!! Yay! Go me my first DT experience!! This is a wonderful challenge blog where anything goes which is fabulous and hard to find. The challenges are bi-weekly where projects are due on Mondays at 12:00 noon. The projects are unlimited and can include cards, tags, 3-D projects, scrapbooks, ect.. the possibilities are endless so make sure to head on over and join us.
 
  
Post a Comment