Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Little One with Dry Embossing Tips

Embossing by definition is to "create a raised image or words, by using one of several methods, including pressure or heating and resins." In everyday scrapping terms embossing is a quick and easy way to add a beautiful dimension to your project.

As mentioned there are several different types of embossing which include deboss, dry embossing, heat embossing, and dimensional or wet relief embossing - I am sure there are more but those are the main ones that we will talk about.

So onto the project. Last night when I sat down to do my baby shower card I wanted to practice with dry embossing. Dry embossing simply means using a stencil securely positioned onto paper (or thin metal) which I then gently press with a bone folder or similar device to produce raised images.

And this is what my final project looks like.

 
 On a side note I am currently taking a "take better photos now!!" class to help me, but I think I am going to break down and head over to pinterest and make a light box.
 
For this card I used three different layers of paper, two of which I embossed with hearts on the light pink and dots on the yellow. I did not emboss the purple and left that layer the smallest to continue to follow that 60, 30, 10% color combo we outlined in our color post. I also embellished the sentiment and the giraffe (with a bow-tie which I couldn't resist)
 

Some great tips for dry embossing include:

  • To give the raised image a nicer effect use a heavier paper.
  • Use a light table to see your stencil through your paper.
  • Securely position the stencil to the paper by using a light adhesive or even double sided tape
  • The only stencil that has a back and front are numbers and letters.
  • Press firmly around the edge of the stencil.  
 
I would love to see what everyone else has for their dry embossed projects so please feel free to head over to our Facebook page and share those lovely pictures.
 

"Laughter is timeless, Imagination has no age, and dreams are forever. - Walt Disney"


 photo JeniLeigh3_zps1223d877.jpg
Post a Comment